Sunday 27 March 2016

Quiltscapes and Quiltline

I have just returned from seeing this exhibition at Bowes Museum. The quilts are by Pauline Burbridge and are a mixture of quilts to go on a bed that would withstand a washing machine and quilts to go on a wall. The techniques that Pauline uses are a mixture of hand and machine embroidery with fabric paints and printing. She also uses cyanotype printing which gives magical results. The exhibition includes a number of sketchbooks and also a number of fascinating samples, giving an idea of the processes that go before making a quilt. The show finishes on 10th April. I thought it was well worth a visit. Has anybody else been?




This is a short clip from the 10 minute film ‘Making’ showing Pauline Burbidge at work – made by Steve Chettle. To buy the DVD, please contact Enceladus Films
You can email them at: enceladusfilms@gmx.co.uk

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I really enjoyed the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the 10 minute film at the Bowes exhibition and found it interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the video Tricia. To begin with I thought she had used a programmed machine but then realised that even the repeat patterns were free machined. The more I looked the more amazed I was

    ReplyDelete