Saturday 4 July 2015

York Visit

I thought I would share with you the pieces from York Embroiderers' Guild Exhibition that caught my eye.

The first is this series by Helen Young. There were seven parts but not all my photographs were good enough to pass on.

I also liked some of the pieces in the 'Make Do and Mend' section. Cutting and slashing/faux chenille are techniques I enjoy. It was good to see them used for these bags.

The exhibition was a good mix of traditional and contemporary work.

I enjoyed the exhibition at the Quilt Museum. It's sad that it will be closing. I liked the antique traditional quilts. It is amazing what used to be produced with limited fabrics and oil lamps or candlelight. Kaffe Fasset's quilts were as vibrant as ever. I appreciate that his inspiration came from the old quilts but I'm not sure they worked well together. Vivid colour is his 'thing' but I thought his quilts appeared brash alongside the faded colours of the old ones. Any thoughts?

All in all a good day out

No comments:

Post a Comment